On October 30, 2023, President Joe Biden signed an executive order (EO) entitled, Executive Order on the Safe, Secure, and Trustworthy Development and Use of Artificial Intelligence. The EO articulates eight principles and priorities that the Biden Administration will use to advance and govern the use of AI:
- AI must be safe and secure;
- Promoting responsible innovation, competition, and collaboration will allow the U.S. to lead in AI and unlock the technology’s potential to solve some of society’s most difficult challenges;
- The responsible development and use of AI require a commitment to supporting American workers;
- AI policies must be consistent with advancing equity and civil rights;
- Protect the interests of Americans who use, interact with, or purchase AI and AI-enabled products;
- Protect Americans’ privacy and civil liberties with respect to AI;
- Manage the risks from the Federal Government’s own use of AI and increase its internal capacity to regulate, govern, and support responsible use of AI; and
- The Federal Government should lead global societal, economic, and technological progress in AI.
The EO is available here.
Impact on General Dentistry: The EO directs the Secretary of the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) to establish an HHS AI Task Force. The Task Force must develop a strategic plan that includes policies and frameworks on the responsible deployment and use of AI and AI-enabled technologies in the health and human services sector. This includes issues that touch all of health care including dentistry, such as research and discovery, drug and device safety, healthcare delivery and financing, and public health.