PACE Standard I, Criterion A states: The responsibilities and scope of authority of the individual or administrative authority must be clearly defined. In order to ensure that applicants are meeting this criterion, the PACE applications require providers to list the names and titles of the staff and planning committee members involved in the development of the applicant’s CE program. The application also requires that the applicant identify the specific responsibilities of each person or job title associated with the development of the program.
Based on published Standards and Criterion, the reviewers will expect to see the following information included in the organization’s job responsibilities:
- A planning committee with at least one licensed dentist who has no other responsibilities to the program provider (Standard 1, Criteria E). Members of the planning committee should be subject-matter experts so that they can effectively guide the organization in selecting or developing current, unbiased, scientifically sound information to present to course attendees. Requiring at least one member of the planning committee to be free of any other responsibilities to the program provider better ensures objectivity when making decisions.
- Planning committee responsibilities should include, but not be limited to, instructor, content and teaching method selection and review, review of needs assessment and course evaluation data, and input into setting the organization’s CE goals (Standard 1, Criteria F, G; Standard IV, Criterion C; Standard X, Criterion D).
- Someone in your organization or on the planning committee must:
- Assume overall administrative oversight (Standard 1, (2), Criteria A, C, D)
- Assure compliance with PACE Standards (Standard 1, Criterion B)
- Work with the planning committee to develop and review the needs assessment and course evaluation data (Standard 1, Criterion I; Standard IV, Criterion a, c; Standard X, (1))
- Work with the planning committee to review instructor selection, course objectives and content outlines (Standard VIII (1), Criterion A)
- Maintain minutes from the planning committee meetings (Standard 1, Criterion F)
- Choose appropriate educational methods (Standard 1, Criterion G)
- Choose appropriate facilities and equipment (Standard 1, Criterion G)
- Assure equipment is in good working order and can accommodate the size of the intended audience (Standard 1, Criterion G)
- Assure the student:instructor ratio is appropriate to the information presented and teaching method used (Standard 1, Criterion H)
- Maintain attendance information (Standard 1, Criterion I; Standard XI, (1), Criterion A)
- Assure participants are not violating any applicable laws and regulations when participating in a course (Standard 1, Criterion J)
- Assure instructors and/or participants possess the basic expertise and credentials necessary to perform treatment during the course (Standard VII (2))
- Update AGD with contact information annually (Standard 1,Criterion M)
- Develop and enforce written policies/guidelines to ensure content is scientifically sound and free of commercial bias and falsified images (Standard I, Criterion O, Standard VIII, (3), Criterion E, Standard XII, Criterion B)
- Assure there is an adequate number of qualified personnel to manage the program and ensure the continuity of the CE program in case of personnel changes (Standard 1, Criteria D, H)
- Oversee the development of informative publicity (Standard IX)
- Maintain a budget for the overall CE program (Standard II, Criterion C)
- Develop a written statement of the organization’s overall mission and goals (Standard III, Criterion A)
- Document and carry out procedures for needs assessment (Standard IV, Criteria A, C, D)
- Assure appropriate educational objectives are developed for each educational activity (Standard V, Criterion A)
- Document potential conflict of interest and financial or in-kind support from commercial entities (Standard XII, Criteria C, D)
For more information on how to present this information, check out our sample job description. If you have any questions regarding this or other PACE topics, contact PACE at firstname.lastname@example.org.